Skip to main content

All The Small Things

In my never ending need for order, I am going to go against everything in my nature to write this blog post. You see, I like things in order. I have not yet told you about our adventures in Moab or how much we enjoyed Arches National Park. We have been in Salt Lake City for 3 days now and have filled our days with sightseeing and fun and I have not told you about that either. Bear with me, I will get to these things eventually. I am constantly torn between sharing our adventures and enjoying having no responsibilities. I am trying to be present with my family but don't want to fall behind and risk losing out on a memory. Truth be told, this blog is as much for me and my family as it is for everyone else. I want to have a written record of everything. Part of this is my mother's influence- she always wrote trip summaries of everything we did when we were kids. While we might joke about the ridiculous details she included (i.e. "We ate a delicious picnic lunch at ___ rest area. We had apples, peanut butter sandwiches and chips"), my constantly failing memory can appreciate having a written chronicle of each trip (although I plan to be a little less detailed when it comes to our daily menu!).

But for now, I must share these two things, because as small and insignificant as these events might seem, they are a part of this trip just as much as the museums, zoos and national parks are. Sometimes the little details are the things that we remember but oftentimes they are not. I hope these glimpses into our lives on the road will spark my memory just as much as the pictures of sweeping western landscapes do.

The first event occurred when Jared left to get new tires on our trailer back in Denver (go here to read that story). I stayed behind with the kids at a playground. About 30 minutes later, I suddenly remembered that I left my coffee mug, my precious Waffle House coffee mug no less, on the kitchen counter, as well as the thermos of remaining coffee. I texted Jared to let him know; I thought that he might be able to clean it up before he left in case driving back made the mess worse. I imagined my Waffle House mug, shattered all over the floor and coffee slowly seeping into the cushions of the couch. I was sad for the loss of the mug as well as the mess that would be waiting for us. When the tires were done, Jared slowly opened the door to the trailer, afraid at what he might find. And this is what he saw:


After a 15 minute drive through city streets, the coffee mug had moved maybe 4 inches total, ever so slightly hanging off the ledge, showing us how close we were to a very unfortunate accident. When Jared sent me the picture, I couldn't believe it. The thermos can also be seen to the far left of the picture, unmoved by the ride into town. Jared said he was disappointed not to have a crazy, messy disaster to show everyone. I was happy that my mug (and my coffee!) were safe.

The second event occurred about an hour ago. For a little background info, it's pertinent to know that we are currently camped in the grass next to a church parking lot in Salt Lake City (a shout out to Prince of Peace Lutheran for being amazing hosts!). Jared and I were sitting outside on our camp chairs, enjoying some tea, snacks, and the cool night air, both of us on our laptops busily planning the next few weeks of our trip. Suddenly, the sprinklers went off. The three sprinklers that are within 10 feet of us. Thankfully, we have reflexes like ninjas and were able to race inside with all of our things in mere seconds. As we were closing the door to the trailer, one of the sprinklers turned just so and shot water directly into the doorway all over our legs. So the only casualties were our clothes and the floor. Needless to say, we abandoned our plan to sit outside for the rest of the evening.

I can't promise you that this blog will be super entertaining in general. But please do yourself a favor and imagine Jared and I running through sprinklers at 10pm guarding our laptops and phones with our lives and allow yourself to laugh at our expense. I hope these little moments from our lives will bring a smile to your face as I hope it does mine when I read this in years to come. Oh, and say a prayer of thanks that my Waffle House mug was spared a most bitter and terrible end.

Comments

  1. I laughed! I have very vivid images of you two sticking for cover Thanks for catching us up... Can't wait to hear about Moab and Arches... But don't pressure yourself! Enjoy every moment and catch us up when you can. No biggie! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment